The Importance of Product Packaging Design
Why is product packaging design so important? Because people are visual creatures by nature.
Research has repeatedly shown that around 70% of purchase decisions are made in-store, at the point when people see some product and then instantly decide to buy. That is closely related to product packaging and how it is displayed.
In this article, we’ll explore the importance of good packaging design, point out its elements and principles, and present some examples of successful packaging design. Additionally, we’ll examine how all these impact sales.
The Importance of Product Packaging Design
Customers judge the product by its packaging before buying, therefore good packaging designs increase sales and brand loyalty.
Product packaging tells a story of the company’s brand, along with the product itself. Thus, making quality packaging design is equally important as the quality of the product itself.
A good packaging design grabs consumers’ attention and influences them to purchase it. The personality and creativity of the company are shown in its packaging designs.
First and foremost, packaging protects your product when being handled, and shipped to various retail stores, or customers’ locations directly. This element of protection for the product is important because it ensures that your customers don’t receive broken items.
On the other hand, as a marketing tool, packaging design plays an important role because it’s the first thing that shoppers see. If your packaging design catches the eye of the customer, it means that it stands out from the competition.
Elements and Principles of Packaging Design
The four main elements of packaging are:
- Colors: It’s known that colors have a big psychological impact on customers. They draw attention to your product and subconsciously reflect the personality of your brand. Colors are also the first thing to be noticed and can be visible at a distance.
- Visuals: In product packaging, visuals are representations of the product inside the package, where customers can easily understand what the product is without having to read it.
- Typography: Another powerful part of a brand’s identity is typography. It represents the values of your brand. Brands frequently use bold fonts and serifs to attract attention due to their clarity, simplicity, and readability.
- Format: The format of packaging has a big impact on the product’s protection, convenience, branding, and environment
Now, let’s explore the below principles in product packaging design, of which there are five:
- Branding: The packaging design should reflect the brand’s identity and values, and serve as the “face” of the brand.
- User-friendliness: The packaging should be easy for consumers to open, use, and store. It should also provide relevant information about the product, such as ingredients, instructions, and expiration dates.
- Creativity: A unique and eye-catching design can help a product stand out and attract consumer attention.
- Multi-purpose: Packaging can serve more than one function, such as providing storage or serving as a gift box, and that can add value to the product.
- Material: If a product uses sustainable and eco-friendly materials for its packaging, it not only reduces its impact on the environment but also enhances the brand’s image. This can particularly appeal to consumers who prioritize sustainability and look for environmentally conscious brands when purchasing.
Examples of Successful Product Packaging Design
With so much competition in the market, it’s more important than ever for companies to invest in the best packaging designs. Here are several examples of successful product packaging designs from various industries, so that we can see what makes them stand out.
#1 Honey packaging design
This product packaging design is great as it effectively reminds us of the origin of honey, and how a hive looks. Additionally, the vertical label that reads “Made by Bees” is a lovely touch that enhances the overall packaging design making it so elegant.
#2 Design for Nike
A German agency, Scholz & Friends, has truly impressed customers with their outstanding product packaging design for Nike. This innovative packaging not only catches the eye, but also allows customers to see the product clearly, and shows why this product is great.
#3 Design for Note earphones
This electronic part packaging design clearly shows that “less is more”, in a very poetic way.
#4 Butter Butter design
When we have lunch in nature, we often use small, disposable butter packages that come with plastic lids. However, a designer had a brilliant idea to replace the lid with a wooden knife. This innovative solution not only eliminates the need for a separate utensil but also reduces waste.
To Sum Up
Product packaging design is critical in driving sales, business growth, and customer loyalty.
Well-designed packaging can influence consumers by creating a strong emotional connection, differentiating a product from the competition, and enhancing its perceived quality.