The Smart Hospital Revolution
We had the privilege to connect with Dr. Mohammed Al Seiari to hear about the truly inspiring work he’s doing with Royal Health Group.
Tell us about your background.
My education includes the American & Canadian Board of Internal Medicine, American Board of Pulmonary Medicine, Canadian Fellowship of Pulmonary Medicine and American Board of Medical Quality. I am the founder of the first pulmonary hypertension unit and the first physician to manage pulmonary hypertension in the UAE.
I am the former Director of Health System Compliance at the Department of Health Abu Dhabi. I was also the Chief of Staff at SEHA, largest healthcare provider in the UAE at the time, which now continues to be so under the umbrella of Pure Health. During my tenure there, I was also a healthcare adviser at the Abu Dhabi General Secretariat of the Executive Council.
Once I had reached my maximum contribution to government duties, I still wanted to serve my country in the only way I know how: Healthcare! Along with my fellow board members, we founded Royal Health Group, with the mission to improve the health of those we serve, with a commitment to excel in all that we do by developing an ethical and sustainable environment.
Royal Health Group has unrivalled experience and understanding of the needs of the Healthcare sector in the UAE in particular, and the GCC in general. With vast experiences in healthcare management and successful healthcare projects, we were recognised as one of the fast-growing groups in UAE. Our creative solutions are tailored for healthcare clients such as Hospitals, Medical Centres, Investors and Government/Private Entities. Royal Health Group aims to assist our clients to maintain viability, improve productivity, increase value, and enhance their business efficiency and overall performance in a cost-effective manner. Royal Health Group is composed of a highly qualified and experienced team of healthcare professionals with PhDs and Board Certification from the US, Canada and the UK. These teams are capable of planning, designing and managing healthcare-oriented projects and implementing the highest standards of a comprehensive and coherent healthcare delivery system.
Can you tell us more about the new smart and AI-managed hospital that Royal Health Group is building? How will it change the healthcare landscape in the region?
We are building a first-of-its-kind state-of-the-art Smart Hospital in the UAE. The smart hospital will leverage advanced technologies such as AI, machine learning, and predictive analytics to improve patient outcomes, increase efficiency, and reduce costs. The hospital will use AI-powered tools to provide real-time patient monitoring, remote consultations, and personalised treatment plans. Additionally, it will use data analytics to identify patterns and predict patient needs, enabling healthcare providers to intervene earlier and improve patient outcomes.
The hospital will also incorporate smart systems to automate processes such as scheduling appointments, tracking patient progress, and managing medication orders. This will reduce administrative burdens and enable healthcare professionals to focus on delivering high-quality care.
Overall, the implementation of a smart and AI-managed hospital in the UAE has the potential to transform the healthcare landscape in the region. It will improve the quality of care, increase access to healthcare services, and reduce healthcare costs. Additionally, it will address the shortage of healthcare professionals in the region by enabling healthcare providers to deliver care more efficiently and effectively, by utilising our business model.
Tell us about the introduction of population health smart programs in the UAE.
Population health management is an approach to healthcare that focuses on improving the health outcomes of a specific population by addressing the health needs of individuals within that population. We will design a program to use technology and data analytics to identify and manage the health needs of a population.
The following are areas of consideration in the implementation of smart programs in the UAE:
- Identifying the population that we will target with the program such as the elderly or those with chronic conditions.
- Gathering data on the health needs and behaviours of the population such as their medical history, lifestyle, and social determinants of health.
- Analysing data and identifying patterns and trends in the health needs of the population.
- Developing targeted interventions to address the health needs of the population such as preventative measures, lifestyle changes, or medical treatments.
- Using technology to implement the interventions and monitoring the health outcomes of the population such as remote patient monitoring, telemedicine, or mobile health applications.
- Evaluating the program to continuously measure its effectiveness and make improvements as needed.
Some potential benefits of population health smart programs include improved health outcomes, reduced healthcare costs, and increased patient engagement and satisfaction. Additionally, these programs will help us deliver more efficient and effective care by focusing on preventative measures and early intervention.
How is Royal Health Group leveraging the latest technological advances in artificial intelligence, machine learning, and big data to provide personalised and precise care to patients?
Royal Health Group leverages the latest technological advances in artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML), and big data to provide personalised and precise care to patients in several ways:
- Personalised Treatment Plans: Under our belt, we have a telemedicine platform “My Health AI”, which enables physicians to analyse patient data and create personalised treatment plans based on the patient’s medical history, lifestyle data that is synced through wearables, and symptoms. My Health AI also enables physicians to consider external factors, such as environmental and social determinants of health, to develop a more comprehensive treatment plan.
- Remote Patient Monitoring: Royal Health Group utilises IoT devices and AI-powered systems that are used to monitor patients remotely and collect real-time data on their health status. This enables healthcare providers to adjust treatment plans or provide interventions in real time, improving patient outcomes. Such example of this is our in-house built telemedicine platform “My Health AI.” It is a very effective tool in delivering remote patient monitoring to physicians who need to keep an eye on their patients, while the patients are in the comfort of their own home.
- Medical Imaging: AI and ML are used throughout our facilities to analyse medical imaging data, such as X-rays and MRI scans, to detect abnormalities and diagnose medical conditions more accurately.
How is the group addressing the challenges associated with healthy ageing and promoting longevity in the UAE population? What specific initiatives have been put in place?
Royal Health Group has been addressing the challenges associated with healthy ageing and promoting longevity in the population through various initiatives. Some of these initiatives are:
- Elderly Care Services: Royal Health Group has established specialised centres to provide elderly care services, including home healthcare services, to support the elderly population. These centres provide medical care and rehabilitation services.
- Health Promotion Programs: Royal Health Group has been running health promotion programs that aim to raise awareness about healthy ageing and encourage healthy lifestyle choices, including exercise, healthy eating, and regular medical check-ups.
- Telemedicine Services: Telemedicine services have been introduced to improve access to healthcare services for older adults who may have mobility or transportation issues. Telemedicine enables remote consultations and virtual monitoring of patients’ health.
- Research and Innovation: Royal Health Group has been investing in research and innovation to develop new approaches and technologies that can advance early detection and support healthy ageing and promote longevity in the population, through a partnership with medical universities in the UAE.
- Oxygen therapy treatment is another initiative that we are currently working on to enable healthy ageing and improve the cognitive function of elderly patients, and slow down the cognitive deterioration of those suffering from the early onset of dementia.
Overall, these initiatives demonstrate Royal Health Group’s commitment to addressing the challenges associated with healthy ageing and promoting longevity in the population. By providing specialised care and support for older adults, promoting healthy lifestyles, and leveraging technology and innovation, Royal Health Group is working towards improving the health outcomes and quality of life for older adults.
Can you discuss the role of technology in Royal Health Group’s approach to delivering high-quality healthcare services? How is the group using technology to improve patient outcomes and experiences?
Royal Health Group utilises state-of-the-art technologies across the various specialities that we have to treat our patients, like the examples mentioned earlier. One of the new and first of its kind technology that Royal Health Group is investing in is a Smart Hospital, which will make patients’ journey and experience in the hospital seamless in the following ways:
Reduce Patient Waiting Times:
- Registered patients who walk into hospitals with existing appointments can simply be guided through smart screens and through their mobile phones to where to go next.
- Reduce Patient Complaints: When was the last time you stood in a queue? Or had someone jumped the line in front of you? These unnecessary hurdles towards an otherwise routine task should no longer be an obstacle to a pleasant patient visit at their healthcare provider.
- Telemonitoring: Post-op patients who elongate their stay at the hospital for doctors to constantly monitor them, can now be monitored from the comfort of their home. Patients simply link up with our smart telemonitoring devices, and our medical team in the hospital will not miss a heartbeat – literally!
How is Royal Health Group working with the government and other healthcare providers to address healthcare disparities and improve access to healthcare services for all members of the community?
During the outbreak of COVID-19, Royal Health Group played a key role in containing the virus alongside the Department of Health (DoH) Abu Dhabi. For starters, DoH handed over management of an out-of-commission hospital in Al Ain over to Royal Health Group, to maximise bed space for patients under quarantine. This collaboration grew even bigger in Abu Dhabi, where Royal Health Group was one of the key healthcare providers delivering COVID-19 vaccines and PCR tests to the general public.
Working collaboratively with the government and other healthcare providers is essential in addressing healthcare disparities and improving access to healthcare services for all members of the community in the UAE. By developing targeted interventions, engaging with the community, sharing data, and being involved in the regulatory policy-making process, Royal Health Group is a solid stakeholder that works with all those involved in achieving healthcare equity and improving health outcomes for all.
With the rising demand for oxygen therapy, what steps has Royal Health Group taken to ensure that patients have access to high-quality oxygen and other respiratory care services?
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) can be a valuable tool in rehabilitation for certain injuries or conditions. By delivering increased oxygen levels to the body’s tissues, HBOT can promote healing, reduce inflammation, and improve blood flow, which can lead to improved outcomes and quality of life for patients with appropriate indications, such as:
- Traumatic Brain Injury: The increased oxygen levels delivered during HBOT can help to reduce inflammation, promote tissue repair, and improve blood flow to the brain, which can lead to improved cognitive function and quality of life.
- Spinal Cord Injury: The increased oxygen levels delivered during HBOT can help to reduce swelling and inflammation, promote tissue repair, and improve blood flow, which can lead to improved motor function and sensory perception.
- Stroke: The increased oxygen levels delivered during HBOT can help to promote the growth of new blood vessels, reduce inflammation, and improve blood flow, which can lead to improved motor function and cognitive outcomes.
- Sports Injuries: The increased oxygen levels delivered during HBOT can help to promote tissue repair, reduce inflammation, and improve blood flow, which can lead to faster healing and improved outcomes.
Royal Health Group is now working closely with key international experts in the field of HBOT, to introduce this technology in key areas for the targeted UAE demographic and ensure the best utilisation of this technology along with ease of access to those who need it the most.